It's hard to believe that I graduated from college and passed my boards 10 years ago! I'm so blessed and privileged to be a part of the dental profession. I have worked for most of those years - varying amounts based on the needs of our family. :)
The past 1 1/4 years have stretched me professionally as I have helped to open a new practice and switched from paper charts and film x-rays to all paperless and digital. It has been an exciting year - supporting an amazing dentist and watching the practice grow.
My top 10 favorite things about being a dental hygienist (in no particular order):
1) Patients - They make my job such a pleasure. I love seeing them every 3-6 months and sharing in their lives and families.
2) Smiles - Cheesy, yes - but definitely true. Knowing that I can help encourage and create positive self image is a joy!
3) Educating - Whether it's in classrooms or with individuals chairside, I appreciate the opportunity to educate about oral health, homecare, and general health.
4) Flexibility - This has been the perfect career for our family - being able to work part time and as little as 1/2 day/week has been great.
5) Benefits - God has called our family to adopt and we have been so thankful for the way He has used my job to help with the cost.
6) Team - I have worked with amazing people over the years.
7) Kids - I LOVE seeing kids. I've always worked in a general practice and would not switch but I love when the kids come (most of them... :)).
8) Relationships - I touched on this with #1 but I have met some wonderful people who have become friends.
9) Health - Knowing the link between oral health and the health of the entire body makes my job all the more serious...not only educating my patients about that link but in actively treating disease.
10) Success - Working towards the success of the practice through creating trust and loyalty. I love seeing my dentist meeting the needs of our patients.
So...there you have it! I mostly love my job and feel incredibly thankful!
And I would like to say a big thank you to the patient who asked me last week how long I have been a hygniest and acted shocked when I said 10 years...she said I didn't look old enough... :) Bless her.