Monday, March 16, 2015

Choosing Joy

I frequently find myself encouraging my children to "Choose Joy." A message as much for them as for me. :) I think joy can come naturally and there are events and things that make joy easy, but I also feel that joy (and contentment) is a choice. 

As I validate emotions in our home (it's okay to feel ___________, but how you handle it is the issue), it makes me introspective. What do I model? How do my children see me deal with a range of emotions? 

Joy is a beautiful thing. Joy in the midst of suffering is challenging. Joy is often a choice. Even in the midst of being real and honest, I desire to live a life defined by quiet joy. It's easy to focus on things that are worrying or scary or uncertain, but worrying doesn't really do us any good and it takes a toll on your health. So much easier said than done. So much easier. 

Anyway...I'm currently finding joy in: 
- a deepened relationship with God. 
- decluttering and simplifying life - what a process! 
- hearing my kindergartner learn to read.
- reading an advanced copy of "For the Love" by Jen Hatmaker.
- anticipating a trip to Montana with my husband...by ourselves. 
- enjoying the start of spring.
- spending time with my children playing games, reading, and watching movies.
- blogging a little bit more - both here and at The Cooks Next Door.
- knowing that we are in the last 2 1/2 months of the school year. 
- looking forward to the birth of another niece or nephew in the summer.
- cooking - it has been awhile since I have enjoyed it, but I'm back to trying a few new recipes!
- working with a wonderful team. 

There are many other things I can list, but these are a few. 

Speaking of joy - look at these delighted faces! We have a new cousin (niece) who was born in November. We could not be more thrilled - isn't she a doll?! These big cousins were so excited that she came to visit (she lives far away) at New Years. Emmi is especially happy to not be the only girl anymore. 


No comments: