Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cherry Pie...

Another Memorial Day has come and gone.  The annual Cummings family reunion was successful and gigantic.  There must have been at least 100 people…1/2 of which were children!  Seriously, one little boy asked me if he could have a cupcake and I said he had to ask his mom…he asked where his mom was and honestly, I didn’t even know who he belonged to.  Such is the gathering.  Every year, there are many announcements and introductions.  We only do this once a year with all the great-aunts & uncles, 2nd cousins etc.  In our immediate extended family alone, there will be at least 5 babies and 1-2 weddings before the next Memorial Day.

Our day started early.   I headed to the grocery store at 7:30 to pick up things for the pitch-in picnic.  I decided to make 2 cherry pies in addition to some other items.  The pies went in the oven about 8:45 – plenty of time for them to come out and cool a bit before transporting them to Francesville Park (1 ½ hours away).  They smelled great – cherry is one of my favorite pies.  When they were done…they were pretty soupy but I figured they would thicken as they cooled, as I’ve made the recipe several times.  By the time we needed to leave, I realized they were a bit of a disaster – still very soupy and messy.  We put one in a box and one in a roasting pan to prevent the mess leaking in the car.  I worked to arrange the back – Andrew also worked to arrange the back…after me. :)  

We headed out and didn’t make it more than 2 minutes and 2 turns when we heard a crash in the back.  I flipped out (just a little) and we pulled over.  The long and the short is that the re-arranging had left the veggie tray on top of the cooler and when we turned the corner it fell on top of one of the pies.  So much for my idea to take 2 pies!  There was pie everywhere and a few veggies mixed in.  We pulled out spoons and between Liz, Luke, Andrew and me we probably ate half the pie or more at 10:30 a.m. – a communal pie.  Andrew was in the doghouse for awhile…but really how can you stay mad when you get to eat an appetizer! :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

This sounds like something that would happen to me. In fact I had a cake disaster a few weeks ago.