Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Lamb

I enjoy lamb. I've eaten it many times - particularly when travelling overseas. It is a meat that is common in our older boys culture and so, with all of that in mind, I bought some. I bought it from a local guy that raises grass-fed, organic lamb. I bought 1 lb. of ground lamb. And with great expectations, I decided to cook it last night. Wow, that was a first and most likely a last.

The smell, the smell, the smell. I could not handle it. I could not eat the Kazakh dish I had made. I could not get it off my hands. It permeated the kitchen and house. It was AWFUL - grassy, gamey, lamby, not good.

On the upside, my family all enjoyed the dish. Andrew assured me that it did not taste anything like it smelled. But try it? I could not. Maybe today I will try it. I spent the remainder of the evening feeling disgusting. I cannot think of any thing I have ever cooked or made that has this strong of an impact. Sigh, guess I'll just enjoy lamb when cooked by others.

Oh and I still have some browned in my fridge...I'm thinking of putting it in vegetable soup...perhaps it will not smell so much?

8 comments:

Heather L. said...

Oh, it was grass-fed, organic -- even worse I'm sure!!!!! Vegetable soup would be very SCottish...

Micah said...

I am cracking up over here, Alaina! This is hilarious. If you couldn't tolerate it, I KNOW I couldn't. I'm no good with "exotic" meats - and yes, lamb is exotic to me ;).

Megan said...

Did you have any Uygher food in Kaz when you guys where there? They are a Muslim Chinese minority group that uses a lot of lamb in their food. Their spices are DELICIOUS and I find myself craving their stuff -- lamb kabobs and a host of other stuff. Too bad that they are a minority and aren't popular in the states ....

Catherine said...

I'm so sorry! How were you cooking it to make it smell like that? I love lamb but usually make it as a roast in the oven and I don't ever remember it smelling peculiar. I wonder if there was something off about the meat you got?

Alaina said...

Megan - I don't think we did have that but it sounds wonderful - I really, really like lamb!

Catherine - Well, it was ground like ground beef - so I browned it with onion and garlic. I'll post a follow-up on what our aunt said about the reasons for the smell! Very interesting and I'll probably try using ground again in some form.

Stephanie said...

This makes me sad because I bought a couple pounds of it trying to be healthful and expand the meat horizons of this household. Now I'm afraid to try it!

Thad and Ann said...

I'm sorry but this post made me giggle, you have a way with words! I am sorry it smelled so awful that you couldn't eat it though. I also love lamb, I have only made a roast(it was ok), it never tasted like the lamb I had in Kaz.

Kimberly said...

Sorry but eeeeeww! :) I can barely handle eating chicken, could never do lamb. I am a "smell person" too. I can remember how things smell from years ago. ahahaha