Monday, June 28, 2010

Life Lessons

We recently expereienced a very mortifying moment: a son said to a very nice older lady that was riding the elevator with us and arrived at her floor, "Just get off, old lady." Oh. my. word. We had a chat about respect and kindness as the elevator doors closed that continued in our room. I was absolutely mortified to say the least. He did not say it in a mean way but that is not something that is modeled or tolerated. I'm not sure how many shades of red I turned and I hoped beyond all hopes that she didn't hear him or at least didn't understand him. I really hope she wasn't offended.

Opportunities for important life lessons present daily - I, however, prefer them to be a little less embarassingly public. :) 

4 comments:

Heather L. said...

I'm afraid that is WAY TOO FUNNY!!! However, I'm sure you didn't think it was funny at the time. Maybe the old lady didn't hear???

Jenny said...

Last year Mark loudly announced in Pizza Hut, "That man is SO HUGE!" I was absolutely mortified to start with. Then I realized that I KNEW the guy from my youth -- he'd played on a soccer team with my oldest brother. I do not think he heard what Mark said, but we had one of those talks too.
(Then I went over and said hello to him and told him who I was, and he remembered both my brothers fondly.)
Learning appropriate observations is hard -- so hard.

Kim said...

LOLOL! That is SO funny and you are right - she totally did not hear him!

"What he's a MORMON?!" No no, NORMAN is his name....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Katie @ Heart Gone Walking said...

OH. MY. WORD. Maybe I don't want to encourage Madeline to be friendly with strangers... That is so funny and painful to read. :)