Thursday, August 26, 2010

Changing It Up!

You know this continual goal I have of getting organized? Well, we are slowly making progress. I'm thrilled. My desire is to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. :) Granted with kids that is a tall order. But I want to continue to train them to pick after themselves, take care of the things we have been blessed with, and to be vigilant in helping to maintain order.

We've debated various ways to help our home to more effectively function and I think we've come up with some good ideas. I'm anxious to see how it will all play out. We built this house as our starter home 6 1/2 years ago and intended to stay for 5-7 years but we've decided to stay put for now. We love many things about our home and we really like the location...so for now, we are committed to making it work. I'm sure we will begin the search for a new house in a few years and I think that will be a bittersweet day. I just love that it's our first house and that we've brought all of our kiddos home here!

Anyway, I digress... We've (well, mostly me) been really pondering the play area and trying to figure out how to best organize the toys. We finally decided to do a modular unit and I think it will not only be functional but it will look nice. On a side note, do any of you find that toys seem to multiply while you sleep? It seems little junky toys are the worst offenders...you know, the ones I throw away all.the.time. Ugh. So tonight we are putting together the units to get ready for the great toy move. The move (in which not all toys will make the cut) will be a welcome change. We are also changing locations for the play area and moving it back to our loft. A big hooray from this need-to-be-organized-but-never-seem-to-manage-momma.

4 comments:

Karon said...

Our boy's teacher has a treasure box for the kids at school. When I downsize our stuff I give it to her to restock her supply. Good for you for tackling this project. If you have not already done so, IKEA has some great toy storage ideas.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on Ikea. My suggestion was beaten by Karon...

It really might be worth a trip to Cincinnati for some storage. We have several sizes of the large cube shelves (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40156283) I LOVE THEM! The largest one is $200 and it's really sturdy. Some of the modular systems available at like Target get pretty pricey quicky and they are 11" square where the Ikea ones are 15". We also have some of the cheap cardboard boxes from Ikea and zipper pouches. Anyways. Good luck finding storage! Living in tight quarters makes me have to be creative with storage.

Shannon said...

Anonymous is me, Shannon.

Gretchen said...

Are you taking before and after pics? I need some serious inspiration.