Thursday, August 10, 2006

Of Forbidden Steps

This afternoon I wanted to get out of the office for a little bit. I tried to go to the coffee shop in our building, but was closed. So I sat down on the nearest level spot other than the floor – some steps. It was nice and out of the way – nobody uses that section of the steps, as there is plenty of width and this particular stretch doesn’t really go anywhere.

So there I was, lost in my thoughts, thinking and staring out the window. I thought nothing of it when a security guard came up the elevator. She smiled and asked if I was waiting for someone. I smiled back and said I was just thinking.

She said, “Management doesn’t want people sitting on the steps.” I thought she was joking.

She was not joking. “But there are some nice chairs downstairs, right there,” she said, pointing. I didn’t want to sit on some wooden chairs next to a bunch of tables; I wanted to be more out of the way.

So I moved on, but I couldn’t believe it. A guy can’t sit on some steps for five minutes without being ordered off? What kind of building do I work in? I don’t think I look like a drug dealer or terrorist. I certainly wasn’t causing traffic problems – there was no one in sight, except the security guard. Bewildering.

It’s not every day one is evicted from (apparently) Forbidden Steps . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you were kicked off of a set of stairs? That's kind of amazing...and sad. I personally find some of the most interesting places to sit are those that aren't intended particularly for that use: countertops, tabletops, stairs. Wooden chairs are a little boring...

Jeremiah said...

I don't know what kind of building you're in, but it sounds stupid... You terrorist you.

I wonder if they'll ever kick people off the Monument Circle steps?