Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Thinking on Things Above

     I have been reading through Colossians, one of my favorite New Testament books, in my private worship (what one calls such times, whether quiet times, devotions, private worship, etc., is a topic I’d like to ponder another time).  A couple days ago, I read chapter three, where Paul instructs the believers in Colossae, “keep seeking the things above, where Christ is,” and “set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.” (3:1-2.)  I’ve been thinking about those “simple” commands and how they can and should be translated into action – mental, thought-ful, action, that is.  It seems to me that this command should go hand in hand with Paul’s command in Philippians chapter four: whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy, think on these things.  But I think it is more than just the content of our thoughts; it also reaches to our focus, in line with Christ’s instructions in Matthew chapter six, to seek first the kingdom of God.
     So the challenge is, in a world in general and in my life in particular, where so many things are neither true, noble, and right, nor “things above,” to think and to set my mind on the things above.

No comments: