Saturday, September 16, 2006

Interview & First Visits

What a draining 24 hours!! We arrived at our hotel at 9:45 a.m. yesterday and had a chance to shower, eat a little, and take a nap. At 3:45, we were picked up and taken to the department of education for our interview.

We waited for awhile in a tiny room and then all of us (the 3 families, translator, driver/attorney) were taken into a large room with 2 women and a man seated behind a desk and table. They welcomed us and then started right in with the questions. They wanted to know about us: where we are from, jobs, family, why Kazakhstan, etc. Andrew and I started the group. We answered the questions (they especially liked my teeth!) and then were asked what type of child we would like to adopt. We stated that we would like to adopt 2 boys between the age of 6 months and 24 months, one needing surgery. They told us no. They said we could only adopt 2 siblings. Then they said that our paperwork only said one. We sat in stunned silence as they moved on to the next lady. They began to interview her and then stopped and came back to us. The social worker and the other female interviewer were talking back and forth. They asked if we would be interested in a child with a cleft. We said yes! They told us that they thought that would be good since I’m a dentist. :) They said the paperwork was not fixed but they would make a call a try to get it fixed. We went from shock and sadness to thrilled in a matter of minutes! It’s still not for sure but we trust it will work out.

After the interview they took us to the baby houses. Yes, this is still Friday! We were very surprised to be able to meet the boys the same day we arrived. We also were super tired which made this day tough and long. We were so excited to see them but had been going for so many hours.

We met a 14 month ol first and he cried the whole time we were there. Today was better; he is still shy and cries a little and is afraid of Andrew but he was observing everything. He did not want any of our toys (or any toys at all!). He only wanted me to stand and hold him and really liked me to sing to him. He seems healthy and is a big boy! He is gorgeous. The 12 month clothes we brought fit great.

We met the boy with a cleft at the 2nd baby house. He was happy to see us and very responsive. He has the chicken pox right now – they treat it with a grass green medication that looks like magic marker. So they brought him in with green spots all over his head! It didn’t matter…he is still beautiful. He is extremely tiny. The 12 month clothes are too big. He seems very alert and bright but is just really small. They said he is healthy - just the cleft. He was just as happy today and loved playing with the toys!

We will be visiting each of them for 1 ½ hours/day. We were hoping to see each of them 2x’s/day but instead it will a longer visit 1x/day. Tonight we will see the first boy again – that will not be our normal schedule but we feel like continuity is crucial for him. So this morning, we saw both, tonight we will see him, tomorrow we will see him 10-11:30 and the boy with a cleft from 5-6:30. Please pray that this time with them will be building good family bonds. I can’t imagine how scary it must be for them. I don’t think either of us had thought about that very much. Please pray for us – it is so exciting but also overwhelming! We have a long road ahead of us. We are delighted to see God’s work and provision. Keep in touch – we love getting all the messages.


Peter Falk said...

I was so excited to read your update about your second visit!!!!! I am writing this when you should be in the midst of your visit with Murat. I am praying!
It is amazing that we can keep up with daily events half way around the world!
My exciting news is that I was able to see a dr and he said my arm can come out of the sling and I can return to normal activities!! I just can't put it in at risk positions like over my head or behind me when I work. There will be no Thanksgiving football, climbing, or basketball for me until mid Dec.:(

Love ya lots,

Jen said...

wow! Yous must be exhausted. Praise God for taking your shock and sadness and turning it to joy so quickly! I can't imagine what must have been going through your mind at that time. It is so exciting that you were able to see the boys already. I am praying that they both grow to love you and show that love in amazing ways over then next few weeks.

Catherine said...

How exciting to actually hold them for the first time! Are you allowed to take pictures?

Jen said...

I am praying that they allow you to take both boys!!!

Thanks so much for the is so great to be able to go along this journey with you both!

Heather said...

It's so wonderful to be able to hear how things are going. It must have been so exciting to meet the boys. We had dinner this evening with the Blackwoods and Beth Brodie and they were very eager to hear all about what is happening. Wish we could send you some 9 mos clothes! We'll keep praying and we'll all be thinking of you tomorrow at church -- and rejoicing that you are not there!

Grandma Judd said...

Praise the Lord! You have arrived safely and have seen those two little precious boys. I am so excited for you and know that they will love you both. You must be having a fantastic experience. God is so good! He certainly is with you as you continue on your journey. May I share a favorite Bible verse. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 You will be loved by Calvin and Patrick. They just sound so precious. This form of communication is really great. I love being able to hear from you--in fact I was checking before breakfast this morning. I am more than anxious.
Love you so very much. Hug those boys for me. Love always, Grandma

Jeremiah said...

What a day! Praise God for everything! He's looking out for you, and it's easy for anyone to see. =D

steph said...

I'm so excited for you! I can't stop thinking about you and this experience.
love you!