Thursday, May 29, 2008

Why Blog?

I've been contemplating blogging lately. Not in a bad or negative way, more in a reflective, pondering way (sorry, I couldn't resist :)). Perhaps it has to do with feeling some burn-out. We initially entered the blog world because many of our friends had joined. That's the honest truth. We thought it might be fun and we thought it would be a great way to keep in touch with people. At the time, we had no idea that blogger world was so big and that there was even blog etiquette. And over the last couple of years, the we in this blog mostly became me. :)

One thing I've realized is that people have a lot of different reasons for blogging - money making, advice, reivews, journaling, photo display, etc. So, why do I blog? I think I have a few reasons. It definitely is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family (as we hoped!). It's a journal of sorts and a fun, creative thing for me. It's also been my hope to use it somewhat as a platform for adoption advocacy. While you may not find lots of posts regarding this topic, it's only becaue I'm holding back. :) Interestingly, I've also learned a lot about myself as I've written and as I've read other blogs. I'm enjoying the personal journey.

Companies, media, and many others are taking note of bloggers. I cannot believe how blogging has exploded since we started a mere 2 1/2 years ago. Bloggers are talked about on the news, in periodicals, and in political, social, and religious settings. It's becoming an influential and well-known "club."

As a human race, we long for the respect, adoration, and praise of our peers and it's easy to feel like the success of blogging is based on comments or hits or whatever but I would submit that success cannot be measured by these things. We must step back and ask ourselves, why do we blog? (Oh and I'm not immune from feelings of elation or devastation based on people's response to my posts - I'm just learning there is so much more to it. :) And I do love the conversations that are stimulated by blogs whether it's on the blog or in social settings - it's an interesting phenomenon.)

I don't ever expect to be a well-known blogger or to attract 100's or 1,000's of people to my little corner of the internet (unless I only do giveaways! :)). But I do hope to continue blogging about our life - the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Of course, I hope people enjoy it, find encouragement, or at least think my kids are cute. :)

Blog for your own reasons. Enjoy it. And if you don't enjoy it, quit. It's as simple as that.

6 comments:

Heather L. said...

I was a bit concerned you were going to decide to give up blogging! Glad you're planning to continue. :)

Jenna said...

I blog because my family is far away... and because it is a nice way for me to journal parts of my life. I don't blog some aspects of me, and as such doubt I'll ever attract large quantities of blog readers who don't personally know me. But that's okay. I agree. Blog if you want to!

Barbie said...

I am glad you are sticking with it because your blog is one of my favorites. I know, stop and give yourself a pat on your back. ;-) You are a real encouragement to me.

LauraG said...

well, I just joined the blog world, too. A little late since I've worked for a 'blog' for two years now! :)
Your boys ARE adorable! We have so many cuties in the 'clan' now.
I'm liking your menu planning ideas, by the way...

Paula said...

Blogging is quite addictive.

Monica said...

I, for one, am glad that you blog and are willing to share your experiences and insights. It has been a blessing to get to know you in this way. Your life and home is a testimony of God's goodness- so keep on writing.