I'm admittedly a keeper of many, many seasonings, herbs, and spices. I just might need them some day, although their potency will be long gone by then. :) I do turn to several seasonings time and time again. Here are my top 10 spice cupboard must-haves:
1) Pure Vanilla Extract (I do not use imitation or flavoring and probably never will)
2) Cinnamon (I buy a nice quality cinnamon in bulk - so good!)
3) Chili Powder
5) Rosemary (I use fresh from my herb garden when it's in season and dried the rest of the year)
6) Sea Salt (or a natural salt - not the box from the store)
7) Peppercorns (I like to fresh grind pretty much all of the pepper in recipes)
8) Italian Seasoning
9) Basil or Lemon Basil (this is a new favorite - I use it fresh whenever possible but keep dried on hand)
10) Dill (I really love this for potatoes and cold salads like chicken salad etc.)
I could add several more like parsley, ginger, nutmeg, oregano, curry, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt... But the above are ones I consistently use. One thing you will not find me using very much (if ever) is anise - I'm just not a fan and never have been. :) Other than that, the sky is pretty much the limit on seasonings!
The right spices really enhance food - I love to throw a little extra in a recipe or add something not listed. You might be suprised by the new flavor - hopefully in a good way! I'll share my top 10 pantry must-haves another time. What do you have to have in your spice cupboard?
Have a wonderful Thursday - this is making me want to cook but alas, we have a meeting tonight at dinner time so no cooking. :( And another change to the ever-changing menu plan - oh well, it's just that, a plan.