Monday, November 24, 2008

Vegetarian Chili

Last Friday, I made vegetarian chili for our church chili dinner. Though I like eating vegetarian, I usually like meat in my chili - it gives it a depth of flavor that I love. So, I was pleasantly surprised that this was actually pretty good. I thought I would share my recipe - it's an original. :)

Vegetarian Chili
1 med.-lg. onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes (w/chiles would make this really good)
1/2 c. water (I just rinse out my tomato sauce cans and pour it in)
1 can corn (or frozen)
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 can white or red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and small cubed (about 3 c.)
3 sm.-med. zuchini, small cubed
1 Tb. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1/2-1 tsp. oregano
salt to taste (about 2 tsp. - 1 Tb.)
1/4 tsp. red pepper

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hrs. or until vegetables are tender and chili is bubbling. Top with cheese and sour cream (I like plain yogurt & a little sour cream combined). Enjoy.

You could easily substitute different beans or other vegetables.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the excessive use of beans scares me:)

CityStreams said...

This sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try it. I've never made chili without beef before.

Amy K said...

I'm going to try your version some time soon. It was yum-o!

Unknown said...

This chili recipe looks delicious.