Monday, January 19, 2009

Blog Birthday

Well, I missed my 3rd blog birthday on Saturday. It came and went without fanfare - in fact, I didn't even remember. And honestly (as I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago), I very seriously considered ending this blog last month. While I love blogging, I guess I hit a crossroads of sorts - I think it had to do with comparing myself to others or measuring relationships by unmeasurable blog things or feeling terrible that I don't write enough comments on others' blogs. I think I'm mostly out of my "blog funk" :) and this continues to be an incredibly creative outlet for me - something I truly enjoy and plan to continue.

Here are a couple of memorable-to-me posts from this past year:

Last year around this time I wrote: Several people have asked about our next adoption since I've mentioned it a couple of times lately :) - we are in the research stage right now. We haven't signed with an agency and haven't decided on domestic or international adoption; we just know that we would like to start the process again this year and we may or may not say when these things are underway. We expect that it could take 1-2 years. We are so excited to see God's direction and to begin anticipating another little miracle! We have been so incredibly blessed by our sons and we know they will make great big brothers when the time is right.

Early July, brought a new name for this blog, Meant To Be. I wrote: I decided that the blog has evolved enough from its start, that it needed a new name (although I admit I'm a little nostalgic about re-naming it :)) and a fresh-never-before-used look. After much thought, I chose the name Meant To Be but decided to keep Reflective Ponderings in the description. The new name has dual meaning for me. First, I believe in the sovereignty of God. In other words, that God is in control of all of life and that the things that happen in life (no matter how wonderful or how difficult) are meant to be. And second, I have no doubt that our family built through adoption was meant to be. We were designed to be together.

We had NO idea that in mere months from writing that first one, that we would be blessed with Titus. Within days of writing and introducing the name, we received the call. And one week later, I wrote to tell you that we would be parents again. We made many new friends through that amazing (though difficult and emotional) journey. We were so happy to be able to share many parts of that story/miracle with you.

Please know that I appreciate all of you, readers. I'm humbled that you stop in to my corner of the world and read what I have to say. You have rejoiced with me, encouraged me, and blessed me. Thank you.

So, Happy Birthday, Blog! Here's to another year!

9 comments:

Monica said...

I am so glad that you blog and will continue to do so. It's been a great way to get to know you and your kids. Besides the fact that you inspire me!

I can completely relate to feeling unbalanced about blogging. Taking December off really helped me get it back in perspective and consider my motives for blogging. I'd love to have that conversation with you sometime.

Heather L. said...

I'm so glad you've decided to keep blogging too! What a year it has been for you -- how fun to look back at some of your earlier posts and see what God had in store for the rest of the year! I guess we just never know what God has for us around the corner.

Jenna said...

I too am glad you're still around! I read your blog every new post (even if I don't always comment) and I love knowing what you and all four of your "boys" are doing!

Erin K. said...

Happy bloggy birthday!! I'm glad you decided to stick around. :-)

Mama10EE said...

Happy Birthday Blog!!! Like the others, I am so glad you decided to continue with the blog. You are a wonderful Christian woman who keeps it real. I feel that the Lord led me to your blog through my friend and it is amazing that some days I read your blog and it really touches a part of me in a certain way...as if my reading your blog was meant to be (no pun intended, but pretty neat!). You have a wonderful family and I can't wait to watch them grow more!

Jill said...

Happy 3rd bloggy birthday friend!!
I am SO GLAD to hear that you are out of your bloggy slump! You are one of my favorite bloggers!
My fav part is popping in to see the precious pictures of your adorable boys!
Hugs, Jill
BTW, did youreallychange the blog name in July??Wow time flies!!

Kate Ambrose said...

Alaina, I'm so glad you didn't leave the blogging world. I'd really miss hearing about your life and your family--not to mention your yummy recipes!

I've had some of the same issues with comparing/feeling guilty about not being as able to comment and maintain relationships, so I can understand a bit of where you were coming from. I am very glad you're feeling better though.

kitzkazventure said...

I meant to comment yesterday but probably got distracted by FB! lol!

I would so miss your blog if it was gone and just wish that I had read your blog before Kazapalooza last year so that I would have known we were sitting amongst blog royalty. I do remember being so envious of your quietly sitting and eating boys...ours not so much but maybe the next generation this year will be sitting with us at Kazapalooza 2009 thinking the same thing....I have high hopes! :)

I love your recipes and plan to try more soon! Happy Birthday to your blog! :) Karen

Micah said...

I am so glad you have decided to keep blogging. I love reading what you write, and I read every blog, even if I don't take the time to comment. I feel very inferior when I read blogs like yours and Katie's (isn't she hilarious?!?), so I definitely know what you mean about comparing yourself to others. You put so much time and effort into what you post, and I put up a bunch of pictures and call it a "blog entry" =). I love your recipe blog, and send others there as well. You also have three beautiful boys that I love seeing pictures of =).

We have got to get these kiddos together to play sometime soon! Kathryn has a ball playing with your boys. Do you think you could come over for a playdate some day next week? With Brad working all the time we are very lonely, and very without a car =)