Friday, March 27, 2009

Highlighting a Few Things

Today, I just want to highlight a few things that I believe are worthy of your consideration.

First, my sister wrote an excellent post about the increase in people drawing from food banks to provide for their family. In these tough economic times, it is increasingly hard for people to make ends meet. If your church or community group doesn't already have a box for donations, maybe you will consider volunteering to coordinate that effort. It doesn't take much time or even much money to contribute but it can make a big difference in food banks ability to provide for families in need.

I also wanted to tell you about my friend, Kim. She is an amazing mom of two boys and one of the founders of Two Hearts for Hope (I've mentioned that great non-profit before). Anyway, she and her husband are in the process to adopt their third little one and the board of Two Hearts surprised her by holding a quilt raffle benefiting Miss Bear's adoption. Tickets are $5 and will help bring Miss Bear home. Adoption expenses can be/usually are daunting and this is a great way to be involved in helping another child find her forever home.

Finally, I mentioned the Fresh Air Fund a couple of months ago but wanted to let you know that they are still looking for host families for this summer. Just as a reminder, here is what they are involved with, "Fresh Air Children are boys and girls, six to 12 years old, who reside in low-income communities in New York City and are eager to experience the simple pleasures of life outside the city." If you would be interested in hosting a child or helping in any way, please contact them!

That's it for this Friday! Oh and in case you haven't noticed, I decided to do a fun poll to the right - vote if you like! Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Micah said...

I voted for the one that included me - is that totally selfish? ;)

Jen said...

HA--Micah I did the same thing. :) But it probably won't b/c I live so far. Unless you travel somewhere close to me. I took a trip and loved it but again I was single.

Also love this post about places to give. Our church started collecting change and dollar bills in the offering and it's amazing how much they are collecting to give to replenish food shelves. Thought it was a great idea and it all adds up.

Kim said...

Thanks so much for the "plug." :-)