Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cloth Diapering

Remember how I said I was going to do cloth diapers...well, I really am. :) I haven't yet, mostly because I didn't get them ordered before Ty was born and the past few weeks have been super crazy and we've been constantly on the go. But all the disposables we've used is horrifying - the waste and the cost is insane! I know I had two in them before but I think at this stage, Ty uses as much in one day as the two of them combined and they were older so we used them for less months. I do not regret that decision - going from 0 to 2 kids was enough of an adjustment. :)

After researching and asking lots of questions, Bumgenius 3.0 is the chosen cloth diaper. I think we will like them! The initial investment will be a bit hefty but we should be able to use them for a long while and the savings from using disposables will be huge! I swore I would never go the cloth diaper route (and I do not judge anyone for choosing not to!!!) but with a husband that's an environmental attorney and the cost of formula alone, it is necessary. And they really have come such a long way from when I was helping with my younger sibs - at least that's what I'm telling myself...

I'll let you know how it goes...I'm not a purist...we'll still use some disposables when we are out. :)

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Way to go! We LOVE our BumGenius 3.0 one size fits all. It may cost more in the beginning, but it will pay off quickly. It's so cool too that you will only have to buy these b/c they will fit all the way to potty training.

If you need any pointers let me know. Ann also knows way more about it than I do. I'm sure she would love to share some tips too.

We use them only when we are at home. I have to use disposables at night too. Just that little bit that I use them makes such a huge difference. I have three in diapers and we could go through them like crazy. Good luck!

BTW- I really like Bio-Kleen Bac-Out to control the smell in an environmentally friendly way.

Alicia said...

Cool! We plan to cloth diaper when we have kids, for cost reasons and to put healthier things on our kids. I look forward to hearing how you like BumGenius. A friend of mine raves about this product: http://tinyurl.com/3llycf

I have also heard good things about the bath wash of the same brand.

Jodee said...

I admire you! I would hate to see how much money we have spent on disposable diapers for two kids. I was at least smarter the second time around and bought a cheaper brand at Wal-Mart -- no Pampers Cruisers for Kamree, which has worked out just fine!

Kate Ambrose said...

We're going with the BumGenius 3.0 too! I'm excited, and scared to death.

Hey, I just got a "free gift" of 2 cans of Similac forumla, for some reason. I don't know if that's what Ty eats, but if it is, you're welcome to it!

Paula said...

Way to go! I'm not there yet, but I applaud anyone who does. My sister used the diaper covers years ago and then had a diaper service for the soiled ones. If we had a diaper service where I live I would definately do it that way.

Thad and Ann said...

you will like them, I admit they are more work but the money you save is worth it. I also had a toilet sprayer thing & that help so you didn't have to "swish". :) Good Luck!