Thursday, September 04, 2008

Random Tidbits & Thoughts

Titus weighed in at a whopping 7 lbs. 8 1/2 oz. today! Surprised us and the doctor. He got a great report! I made sure and asked if they had any formula coupons and they gave me not only coupons but four cans of formula. What a blessing! Ty is on Similac Sensitive and it seems to be working out - he's gaining weight and not feeling yucky. So we are sticking with it for now.

Andrew is on the board with Adoptions of Indiana and they have their annual golf outing today. So he is spending the day at the fundraiser - I think he was taking pictures of the golfers and had various other responsibilities. Tony Dungy is the speaker this evening at the dinner so he is definitely looking forward to that! :)

On a completely unrelated note, a couple of friends have mentioned a local farm delivery service for groceries and I'm pretty seriously considering giving it a try. The food is mostly organic and a lot of it is locally grown and produced. It's a year-round service and is delivered for free to your door every week or every other week ($35 minimum). They have a fruit and vegetable bin that's $35 and then you can add other things like eggs, bread, milk, pasta, meat etc. I'm not big on grocery shopping, I like to support local business, and I try to incorporate as much natural and organic food into our diet as I can. I'm thinking this might be a great solution to the rising food costs...if only to make me use what's delivered and to lessen my trips to the grocery store where I'm tempted to buy things we don't necessarily need. If we go this route, I'll probably try every other week and see how it goes. I can menu plan around what is delivered and add other items based on what the plan is. :) Anyway, I spent some time researching it this morning and was impressed - it's a little different than a CSA.

Do any of you use this type of service? I just can't imagine how wonderful it must be to have groceries delivered to your door. My goal would be to stick with mostly pantry staples at the grocery store and limit trips to 1-2 times/month. We'll see...

15 comments:

Jen said...

Katie, my sister-in-law just did some work for Adoptions for Indiana (I think her and Joe designed their brochure??) and while she was there for a meeting, I guess Andrew called in while you were in KY. :)

Small world...

Catherine said...

The grocery delivery service sounds really interesting. Do they have a website?

Catherine said...

Side note: sometimes there are things in magazines etc to sign up for free formula and coupons etc. If you want, I can sign up for some Similac ones, unless you think you're all squared away on that. Last time I was at the hospital, I got some free Similac, which I may still have around somewhere. I'll check the expiration dates if I find it.

Alaina said...

I added the link, Catherine. :) If you get coupons etc., we would definitely use them! I just signed up on the website so hopefully it will kick in soon.

Jen - Katie facebooked me and told me - how funny and definitely a small world! I didn't know she did work for them!

Heather L. said...

Can't wait to here more about the farm delivery service if you do it!

Mama10EE said...

If you like groceries delivered to your door and are using disposable diapers, try Diapers.com They deliver free any order over $35 and every time I have ordered, I have gotten the diapers next day!!! The only place I have found diapers cheaper is at Sams Club. If you go that route, please use the referral code WVU10EES. I get a dollar off my next order! :) I think the first time you order and order more than $50 not only do you get free shipping but you also get $10 off your order. Just a thought. I'll also sign up for Similac coupons like Catherine and send them your way. I know formula is SUPER expensive!

Loraena Tuttle said...

I have always wanted to try a local grocery delivery service, too! But I haven't convinced Josh yet. =)

Formula is very expensive - we get ours at Costco. $19.00 for 2 large cans of the Costco brand (it's made the same way and our pediatrician recommended it for Eliana when she was tiny. She had constipation issues and this formula seemed to be the best). Anyway, it's a better deal than similac or enfamil even with coupons...

Gretchen said...

We used a CSA one year but we had to pick it up. Now I try to use a local delivery service for my groceries but they don't carry every thing I need. It is free delivery Monday through Saturday and I love it.

Way to go Titus! Keep on gaining.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, in CT we had our groceries delivered. It is heaven! Do it! Such a time saver.

Heather said...

Also, I am not sure if you saw, but you can change out things too - so if you do not like what is "schedueld" in your bin - you can opt out for something else. Let me know if you need help!!:) I LOVE IT.

Thad and Ann said...

I would LOVE to have a grocery delivery service, I don't like to shop for groceries. We have a "plan" & go to Sams every 2 months & stock up on paper goods, frozen chicken etc. I buy our milk from an Amish farm so all I need from our little supermarket is fresh food. I try & menu plan & when we do that we save alot of $$. I find it fun & I'm never scrambling to make supper. Love it!

Anonymous said...

My friends Linda and Emily (you know her, she's your patient) both use Farm Fresh Delivery. Linda LOOOOOOVES it. they have three kids and the food lasts great and they love it. Did I mention they love it? Anyway, you could ask Emily what she thinks because she uses it too.

Kate Ambrose said...

Wow, Ty's really growing, that's wonderful!

That delivery program looks fantastic! We're planning on signing up--it's worth a shot at least! I love the idea of having fresh produce as well as milk/eggs etc delivered. It will cut down on my grocery shopping time, when the baby comes. Thanks for passing along the idea!

Carrie, Rich and the Kids said...

Hi Alaina,

A few months ago you mentioned that you would like to participate in Secret Blog Pal. I am starting it up September 15th through October 31st (Big reveal). Send me your e-mail if you would still like to participate.

carrie.brody@sbcglobal.net

I will send you a survey and an invite to my private blog.

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you.

Carrie

Heather said...

I just heard about this about a week ago from a friend who subscribes to the service here in Houston. They LOVE it. They've done it for a few weeks and so far, they've been impressed with the amount they get and quality. It's making me think of trying it out... Let me know how it goes!