Thursday, September 25, 2008

Needing a Dress...

I need help. :) Any ideas on where to find a dress? I would really like a new dress to wear for my brother's wedding (in two weeks). The process of shopping for one has not been fun...I've been looking for a few months and just haven't found one that works.

Here is what I'm looking for:
- cocktail length
- sleeveless, short sleeve, or 3/4 length sleeves (I would consider strapless if I had a shrug to wear with it)
- any color but black, white, or red - I would really like something blue or green
- preferrably not too bold of a print
- $75 or less ($50 or less would be even better!) is my budget

Here are some of my complaints about the dresses I've tried - I don't like the fabric, it doesn't fit right, it's not flattering, it's frumpy, it's too casual or too dressy, it's the wrong color or price... I might consider a skirt and top but I would really prefer a dress. I'm just not much of a shopper and have been so frustrated trying to find one... Any advice?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Davids Bridal?

Gina and Teagan said...

Dress Barn, if there is one near you, has a really great selection.

Merrilee said...

Dress Barn? I always have good luck there with dresses and clothing. It might not be formal enough for what you are looking for, though.

Jenna said...

I'm a big fan of the TJ Maxx, Ross Dress for Less type of stores... they have lots of different styles. It is somewhat of a hit or miss but I think their selection is bigger than general chain stores (and their prices are a lot lower).

Paula said...

I'm sorry, I'm so help at all. I have the same problem finding dresses.

Jen said...

Target. Though you find more options online. What I did was ordered several to figure out which one's you like (if you order enough they won't charge you shipping), then just return the one's you don't use.

Mama10EE said...

Have you looked into consignment shops? We have a couple of "upscale" consignment shops in our town that sell nice clothes. I'd try that route.

Catherine said...

I'm not sure considering your budget, but I think you get more for your money if you find a really great dress on sale somewhere rather than a so-so dress you paid full price for. I've had good luck at Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, and Macy's in the past, but haven't been there recently so I can't say for sure...

Jenny B said...

I agree with Jen... try Target. They have some really cute dresses for the right price. You may have to order, but you probably still have enough time for that!

Smith Family Blog said...

Carson Pirie Scott (I know there is one downtown-- don't know about the suburbs). I LOVE LOVE LOVE that store. It is totally my go-to store. There are always sales, always coupons for further % off (check the local paper), and the selection is incredible. In fact, I've been meaning to write a blog post this week about my obsessive love for that store. lol I was in the same boat last week-- trying desparately to find a dress (but maternity) for a big gathering. After hours of searching online, I loaded Moses in the car and just headed to CPS (but called Bergners here)-- and found the PERFECT dress on the sale rack-- it TOTALED 6.02 with tax!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, the last dress I bought was at Marks & Spencer in Bath. Not much help, huh? (It was also black, which is not much help for you. But it was on sale!)

Kostaroff said...

I agree with Catherine. The quality is worth the price. Ann Taylor or your future sister-in-law's store (maybe a discount there!) has great dresses that last.