Monday, October 22, 2007

It's What's For Dinner... :)


This week is completely a pantry week with the exception of buying eggs. My in-laws gave us some huge sweet potatoes from their garden so they will be featured in a couple of meals. I have some leftover sauerkraut from the amazing Russian soup last week and after reading several recipes (including cakes - yikes!) I decided to try an unhealthy side dish casserole (I will be adjusting the recipe some - less sugar etc.). :)

The pork chops turned out very well – the boys and Andrew all wanted seconds so I think that was a good sign. :) I would like to try using honey as the sweetener sometime instead of the brown sugar. The sesame seeds could be increased – we didn’t actually notice them very much but the fresh ginger was a great ingredient! I cut the chops up after they cooked and served them on brown rice with the sauce poured over it all. They were definitely tender! All in all, a fun experiment – it encouraged me to continue recipe development.

Monday - Corn & Potato Chowder, bread, kiwi
Tuesday - Chicken Curry served over sweet potatoes, salad
Wednesday - Meatloaf, sauerkraut casserole, lima beans
Thursday - Pizza, carrots and dip, apple slices
Friday - Made-Rights, baked sweet potato fries, salad
Saturday - Out for Couple’s Night!
Sunday - Egg Casserole, apple muffins

I continue to try and do a pizza night once a week with whatever we happen to have for toppings - this tends to be our flex night so we don't actually eat it every week. :) I also usually plan breakfast food for Sundays - it's easy and we really like it! The egg casserole is one of my favorite breakfast/brunch dishes. New recipes this week are the chowder, curry, and sauerkraut. Check out more menus here hosted by Laura! Have a great week!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your meal plan this week!! looks delicious.

tiffany said...

What a beautiful family! Thank you for your nice comment. :)

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Chicken curry with sweet potatoes sounds like a great combo. I'm going to check out your pork chop recipe as we're going to eat pork chops this week, but I still haven't figured out exactly what we're going to do with them! Have a terrific week!

Natalie said...

Your menu sounds great! Corn & potato chowder...mmmmmmm!

Monica said...

I plan on giving those pork chops a try soon!!

You know our newest favorite pizza topping? Barbecue chicken. Whenever I make something with chicken I save just a little back for the freezer. Add Jack Daniel's Barbecue sauce (the best!!) and yum! I pull it out when making pizza. So easy.

Lorie said...

All sounds so good!

Rebecca said...

I can't wait to try your pork chop recipe. Yummy! :)

Amy K said...

The Russian soup sounds very interesting. I'll have to make it, even though Kevin is anti-vegetarian. :) Another great way to use up sauerkraut is in Reuben sandwiches. We make those about once a month, especially in the summer--rye bread, pastrami (or corned beef), swiss cheese, thousand island, sauerkraut. Yum!

Anonymous said...

You need to have me over for dinner more often.