Friday, October 26, 2007

Part-time Working SAHM :)

I sometimes ponder being a part-time working mom. I know God has called me first and foremost to be a wife and mom but Andrew and I also believe that He has called me to be a dental hygienist. [As an aside, people have many different views of how this all plays out and I am not here to say there is any one right way or to spark any heated discussions. This is simply my personal reflection.] :)

A friend of mine has been a huge encouragement to me in challenging me to live a balanced life fulfilling all that God desires of me. I know that I don’t always get it right but I feel blessed to have the opportunity and flexibility (hygiene is great for this!) to work some (about 30 hours/month) and still enjoy being mostly a SAHM. It seems like the best of both worlds – sometimes I wish for more of one or the other but overall it works.

In truth, I appreciate the fresh perspective on my awesome sons. I miss them and it seems that all the challenges of the week melt away when I see them after only a few hours at work. They are sweet and adorable and we are all so happy to see each other!

I’m so thankful for my loving husband who supports and encourages me in the “outside” work that is a part of my life and our lives. I'm also grateful for his commitment and desire for me to mostly be at home - I know not everyone is able to do that! I’m thankful for the childcare my family provides which gives me the peace of mind to enjoy my work and to meet the needs of my patients. And I’m thankful for the employment that helped make it possible for our two sons to become a part of our family and that continues to help provide if/where needed.

When I think about the different roles God has called me to, I am reminded that He has called me to do them all for His glory! I pray that I will continually be strengthened and challenged in each responsibility. We truly serve an amazing God who has granted each of us different gifts & talents as well as unique roles & families. But He universally calls us to glorify and enjoy Him forever within every aspect of our lives. May that truly be the desire of our hearts.

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
Colossians 3:23-24 (ESV)

5 comments:

Petula said...

Very wonderfully put... it is so hard to make the right decision to do everything that God has called us to do. It sounds like you have made the right choices for you and your family.

Swimming with frogs said...

This post is exactly how I feel about this topic, for myself. I've only ever worked part-time since having children but it gives me a fresh perspective on my family and being out in the world helps me to appreciate all the blessings that I have at home. (Just for clarification, I'm not currectly working b/c we just moved.) I enjoy it too.

Monica said...

Good for you, Alaina! I'm glad that you've found fulfillment in all the areas of work you do. I'm sure your patients are glad, too!

Anonymous said...

For some reason (it's late, I'm tired) I thought I read that you were thinking about working. Sorry!

I think it's great that found what works for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Oy! I thought I'd published a comment, that didn't publish. Now my last comment makes no sense. I really am tired :)

I was trying to say that one of the best things that I've ever done for my family was to go back to work part time doing something that I love. It gave me balance, therefore made me much better to live with!