Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pad Thai

Today I was craving Pad Thai – strange, I know. So I went to the cupboard to see what I had on hands and went to allrecipes.com to see what went into it. I quickly realized that I didn’t have all (or maybe even most) of the ingredients so I looked at a couple of recipes and came up with my own from the pantry.

Y’all, it was yummy and definitely pad thaiish (I love making up words)! Everyone had seconds and a couple even had more (not me or Patrick) and the boys loved the long noodles. Andrew was disappointed that I didn’t write the exact measurements down as I went but here’s what I found and included in the Pad-Thai-My-Way (or Pantry-Pad-Thai): Ketchup, soy sauce, creamy peanut butter, curry, lime juice, crushed red pepper, eggs, oil, butter, canned chicken, 1/2 package dry linguine, peanuts, sugar, and onion.

I sautéed the chicken in some butter to flavor it then I removed it and put some oil in the wok and cracked 4 eggs into it. I cooked it until the eggs were scrambled – I added the cooked pasta and chicken to the wok, poured my secret (even to me) sauce over it all, and threw in about 1/3 of a med. onion finely chopped and about ¼ cup coarsely chopped peanuts. Tossed it all together for a couple of minutes and served.

Okay the sauce had maybe ¼ c. soy sauce, ¼ c. ketchup, 2 Tb. Peanut butter, 2 tsp. lime juice, 2 tsp. sugar, ½ tsp. curry, and ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (I think red pepper flakes would have been good but I didn’t have any). That’s my best guess at the proportions.

Anyway, it was good and cheap and fixed my insane craving. :) So that’s what we had for lunch on this dreary Saturday!

5 comments:

Heather L. said...

It sounds good! I like pad thai too!

Catherine said...

Yum, I love pad thai. I actually have some pad thai noodles in the pantry, maybe I'll have to try your recipe this week!

Petula Wright said...

Sounds yummy!

Jenna said...

Sounds delicious!

Katrina the Magnificat said...

I tried making Pad Thai once ..... I used peanut butter, but it ended up being one solid lump. We couldn't eat it. I stick with the Pad Thai that you can buy in the box at the store now! ;) But I might have to try yours out...:)