Monday, December 03, 2007

A Grand Experiment

I will write about our tree, the farmer's market and other such things later but I quickly wanted to report on my experiment for today. A couple of weeks ago, I was given some goat's milk for free and it's been sitting in my fridge ever since. I've had good intentions just not the time. So this morning, I decided I must use it or I was probably going to lose it! So....

I made goat cheese! It was so easy and it tastes really good (but then I really like goat cheese! It took me about an hour and it only took 4 ingredients. I found the recipe at allrecipes.com (as you may recall, this is my favorite site for locating obscure and otherwise recipes). Anyway, I'm so excited that it worked and I love that I made cheese - many of you have maybe already made cheese in some form or another but this is a first for me.

Well, I'm headed to run errands for the rest of the morning - pb & j sandwiches in the car for the kids. :) Oh and I should mention that my dishwasher is currently locked shut - please pray that they will be able to solve the problem and quickly get the parts (the repairman is coming tomorrow). I know I take having a dishwasher for granted but I love it and I really would like to have it for all our company this week! Happy Monday all!

10 comments:

Mama10EE said...

Oh man I LOVE goat cheese! I am really impressed you MADE it!! Savor it, and if you ever get into mass production, I'll get on your mailing list! :)

Paula said...

I would have thought that would be a lot harder than you described. I bet it is delicious.

Heather L. said...

How exciting about the goat cheese. I'll have to tell my Dad -- that's his next frontier.
I'm sorry about the dishwasher! I totally understand! It's a must!

Catherine said...

Good for you! I've never made cheese. I'd like to some day.

Good thing you decided to make cheese with it rather than drink it, as fresh goat milk tastes like milk, but after even a few days, it begins to taste more and more "goaty" as Josh would say. :)

Barbie said...

I have never tried goat cheese. I might have to give that one a try!

Man, I don't think I could live without my dishwasher. lol!! You can count on my prayers!

Unknown said...

Kudos on making goat cheese.

Now that we have a dishwasher I barely use it. I actually found that I enjoy handwashing the dishes. LOL

Monica said...

I'm impressed. So glad that all that milk went to good use.

How long does goat cheese last in the fridge? And I'm wondering how much you made altogether.

Kelly said...

ALAINA!

Thank you for your comment on my blog! We just received your beautiful family Christmas letter and photo in the mail and we are dying to talk to you about adoption and your adventure. We are so encouraged by you - and it gives us confidence that we can make it through this lengthy process, too. Your boys are so adorable -- I can see how they're an incredible blessing to you.

My email is kellytshibaka@hotmail.com.

I miss you and we love you guys --

Alaina said...

Mama10ee, Yeah, probably no mass production at this point but it was super fun! :)

Monica, a gallon of the milk made about a pound of cheese. So, not super economical if you are going to buy it and make cheese. :)

I have no idea how long the milk will last. The expiration date was Nov. 20 but it smelled fine and with the cheese application, it didn't matter so much if it was past it's prime. And by the way, tnanks again for passing it on!

Kelly - GREAT to hear from you. I'll send you an e-mail.

Amy K said...

That is way cool! I've only used goat cheese a few times but the things I've used it in I really liked. Kyla has a great recipe--that appetizer bread w/ salad greens on top.