Sunday, December 09, 2007

Ta-Da

I'm not sure how to relate this story without looking clumsy and smiling a sort-of-embarassed-sort-of-sheepish-sort-of-pained-smile.

I walked out of church this morning and hurried across the parking lot because I had inadvertantly left home without a coat on this 30 degree day. It was rainy and (as I soon discovered) slippery. All of a sudden, I felt myself sliding and the next thing I knew, I was on my back in the middle of the parking lot. I fought back tears of pain as I tried to catch my breath and stand up. I knew immediately that I had twisted my back and hit my right elbow.

It was embarassing (although few people saw it and now I'm relating it to all of you in blogger land :)), but more than that it was extremely painful. I've spent the rest of today putting ice on my back and elbow, taking anti-inflammatories, and resting. I won't be able to work tomorrow and I'm taking a trip to the doctor. What a way to start the week. Anyway, I'm back - kind of. :)

11 comments:

Paula said...

Oh thats terrible. I hope your not in too much pain. I have a funny story thats similar (now I can laugh about it). I was walking with my husband in the parkling lot of a ski resort and I was carrying my skis and thinking I was looking cool, and then all of a sudden my feet came out from under me and I slipped and fell on my back and my skis and poles went flying all over the place. My husband laughed. Let me tell you, when we got into the car, boy did he get an earful!!

Andrew Wiggins said...

Alaina -

I'm so sorry to hear that ! I will be home all Monday morning (until about 1 pm) so if you need someone to watch the boys, Sarah Grace and I would be happy to have them over.

Angie

Heather said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall! If you need any help at all getting ready for Saturday, just let me know.

Heather

Jenna said...

Sorry about your fall... we all have had those moments. It's good that you can see the humor in it. I usually can't! :)

Tip Junkie said...

Bummer! I hope your elbow is feeling better. I left the house without my coat today as well. I didn't realize it was so cold!

Micah said...

Ouch! Good thing your not having a bunch of people over the end of the week ;)

Monica said...

How awful. I had no idea. Hope that you can continue resting today and that you wake up feeling much better:)

Heather L. said...

What a bummer! I really hope you heal up fast! This is no fun with little kids and the holidays approaching, not to mention your open house! Ugh!

Kevin Swan said...

Look on the good side--you get a day off!

Let us know if there's anything we can do...

Anonymous said...

I did this once in college. there'd been one of those rare-for-southern-indiana ice storms and everything was covered and I was scurrying off to class and WHOOOOOPS! I landed right on my rear and I could not move. I couldnt' get up. for a few minutes I was short on wiggling my toes. I had to be helped to class.
And did I mention that, because it was a campus of under 1000 people, *everyone* saw it???

Unknown said...

These kind of things seem to happen to me fairly frequently. I'm sorry you hurt your back!