Wednesday, December 05, 2007

WFMW: What Do I Fix?

It's a themed Works For Me Wednesday so here you go! My quick, go-to meal when it's zero hour (that's what we call 5:15 at our house :)) is made-rights and oven fries. We love them so much that we have them even when it's not a last-minute meal. I know Shannon said sandwiches are out but these are not just any sandwich and it's not lunch meat... :) I grew up eating them!

Here are the recipes:

Made-Rights (loose meat sandwich)

1 lb. ground beef
1 med.-lg. onion, diced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Buns, sliced bread, bagels - whatever you have on hand
Mayo
Ketchup
Dill relish
Mustard

Brown the ground beef and onion together and add the salt and pepper. (The pepper is the key to this recipe!) Spread the mayo, ketchup, relish, and/or mustard (whatever you like) on the bread and top with the loose meat. Doesn't sound like much but trust me, it's amazingly yummy and filling!

Oven Fries

Peel and slice 1 potato per person in strips, lengthwise (I use the fry cutter attachment for my Bosch)
Olive oil
Salt
Dried dill

Put the sliced potatoes in a bag with enough olive oil to coat them. Sprinkle with salt and dried dill. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Fruit or applesauce make a great finish to this quick meal. If you don't have time for the fries - chips work, too. :)

And that's what works for me! Check out Rocks In My Dryer for more last-minute meals.

3 comments:

Paula said...

I love the meals you can whip up fast. That recipe sounds good.
I have picked up a couple from watching the Rachael Ray show a couple of times. this is one of my favorites: new potatoes cut in half and put on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt & pepper. Bake 400 for 15 minutes. Take out and add green beans with olive oil and put the cookie sheet will all of it back in the oven for another 15 minutes. It is my absolute favorite way to eat green beans now. You can eat'm like fries. Then I just make some kind of meat on the side and your good to go.
YUM-O

Heather L. said...

I'll have to try the made-rights sometime. :) What a cute name!

Lady Why said...

Now that sounds REALLY good!