Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Venting

Can I just vent for a moment? I'm so frustrated with insurance companies. We are trying to change plans - mainly because of astronomical costs, increased out-of-pocket expense with not the greatest coverage. The sad part, we cannot get independent insurance for Calvin. They refuse him based on his cleft. I find it utterly horrifying that people with disabilities and illnesses cannot get coverage outside of their company. And this is a child!!! We've explained that we are using Shriner's Hospital and that the insurance will not be billed but they are worried we might change our mind. We would be happy to sign an agreement that they won't cover any cleft surgeries or related complications. So irritating! Hopefully it will work out and we will be able to just leave Calvin on Andrew's plan (with Andrew, of course) but they aren't sure if we can even do that. It's just been a frustrating morning. End rant, for now. :)
**UPDATED: We are all insured - praise the Lord! It worked out for Calvin to stay on Andrew's work plan and Patrick and me to be on the independent plan. We are thankful that it will cut our monthly premiums in half!**

4 comments:

Amy K said...

That is sooo frustrating. Can the insurance company just get in writing from you that the preexisting condition is excluded? It doesn't make any sense! Good grief. I feel for you. We are in the middle of researching ins. options too and keep changing our minds based on new info. Feels like we're back to square one. And it's SOO expensive!!!

Heather L. said...

Yeah, we have that kind of trouble too. I end up with my own plan which I have to pay more than 3 times the TOTAL cost of the rest of the family. It's ridiculous. I hope something works out.

Paula said...

Medical ins. companies are the worst. I hate dealing with them. They tried to deny my emergency appendectomy because of a "pre existing" condition. What? How can that be, you only have one appendix, anyway, they finally did cover it, but I know what you mean. It is frustrating.

Monica said...

Craziness!! Keep calling, keep asking...and I"ll keep praying. It seems as though insurance punishes anyone with medical needs (even if they don't need anything).