Thursday, June 26, 2008

How Much?

I sometimes wonder how much one family can handle. This morning we got a call that Andrew's Uncle was in an accident early this morning and died. He is the son of Andrew's grandparents (brother of my father-in-law) who both passed away a couple of months ago. I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that Merle, too, has now gone.

Uncle Merle was always one of my favorites. He made me feel welcome in the family from day one. He was funny, kind, and always real. He didn't expect people to be a certain way, he just liked you no matter what. He was a faithful reader of our blog and nearly every week he sent us some of the most hilarious e-mail forwards. This past March, he met our boys for the first time and he was so pleased. He was quiet and unassuming but very obviously devoted to his family. I'll miss those forwards, I'll miss seeing him - his twinkling eyes, cowboy boots, and leather coat, and I'll miss knowing that he's checking in on us here in blogland.

Please pray for the family. He leaves behind children and grandchildren. His youngest son just finished his freshman year in college. I can't imagine.

In honor of Uncle Merle, I'm going to take a couple days off blogging. I'm also quite sick and need a break. I've posted a poll to the right - please feel free to vote. The blog is headed under construction in the next few weeks and I would love some feedback.

6 comments:

Mama10EE said...

It always seems to happen in our family that tragedies come in threes. I pray that this is the fianl tragedy your family will have to carry for a LONG time. Praying for comfort and peace.

Heather L. said...

I'm so sorry! This is really a LOT that has happened to the family in recent months. We'll be praying for you all.

Stephanie said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I couldn't believe the news when Dad shared it with me tonight.

Monica said...

So sad. You and your extended family will be in our prayers.

Jen said...

So sorry Alaina! That is so hard to deal with.

My prayers are with you!

Merrilee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Uncle Merle. This is enough, I agree. You and your family will be in my prayers.