Thursday, March 06, 2008

Dishes

Rocks in My Dryer is hosting a Spur-Of-The-Minute Dish Carnival! And since I love dishes and have been singularly uninteresting and uninspired lately, I thought I would participate (please forgive the photos - I am NOT a good photographer). Anyway, I had to stop buying dishes because we were running out of places to store them - that's how much I love them and have a hard time resisting when I find good deals. I have 12 place setting of Snowman Christmas dishes that will not appear because they are already packed away in the scary recesses of a closet. So, without further ado, I give you...our dishes...


These are our everyday dishes. They are navy blue on the outside and light blue on the inside. My parents and grandparents gave them to me for my birthday a couple of years ago. They are Asian inspired and I love them!



This is our wedding china. We have about 19 place settings and I use it regularly. I (gasp) wash them in the dishwasher and have never had any problems. We have many serving pieces as well as salad and dessert plates and saucers. When we selected our china, we tried to choose something that we thought we would use; it's also the most place settings we have and I'm from a big family so family dinners often include many people!


This is my other set of china. I fell in love with it at an antique store and it was a GREAT deal! I haven't used them as much as I would like because they are not very easy to get out. One of these days, I'll have a better storage system (or more cabinet space) that will accomodate all the dishes.




We have a couple of other plate sets like these - I purchased them for $1 or less for the whole stack. I love the earthy colors and the pottery appearance. They were a steal and we've used them a lot!




So as you can tell, I enjoy dishes. I've learned a lot about the presentation of food over the years and I think sometimes (maybe often) the right dish is instrumental in food appearance! Sometimes I serve plates before they go to the table but more often than not, we do family style. I use serving dishes all the time - my mom always did and I guess it rubbed off - in a good way. :) Hope you enjoyed the dish tour. I have many other single dishes that could merit a spot but I'll spare you. Have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

Heather L. said...

Lovely dishes! It's so much fun to have a variety!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

So fun! Love your dishes! Way to go on the thrift store china. I saw a set once, thought about them for a long time, and when I went back they were gone. I understand the storage issues!

heidi @ ggip said...

I like them all too! The square plate is neat.

Rebecca said...

We almost registered for the same set of wedding china. I don't know why we never went back to do so, I still love them. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh. My favorite is the first set. I would TOTALLY use those everyday, too!!

Christine @ Serenity How? said...

Very pretty dishes you have there! This has been such a fun carnival. :-)

Paula said...

You have some nice dishes, they are different from each other, so you can set the table to have a lot of different looks.

Mama10EE said...

Love your everyday dishes! I think the square plates are really neat, and seem to be the "in" thing this year in dishes. My friend is getting married in May and she registered for square dishes!

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

I love the antique shop dishes! Would you mind telling me what the name of them is? I may just have to keep an eye open for some just like that!!!

Thanks - Diane from Michigan

Alaina said...

Hi Diane! Thanks for stopping by!

The dishes are stamped with thie information: The Edwin M. Knowles Ivory 29-1-4

Hope that helps!

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

Thanks VERY MUCH!!!

By the way - I like your post on 3/5 - And I also hear you regarding kids too! We had infertility problems, and only after seven years of drugs, shots, surgery, etc., did God give us the kids we so long prayed for. So then it was almost kind of hard to say anything when I had a tough time with them. My "kids" are now in their twenties, and God has blessed us, but there were/are many rough times too! Thanks heavens (literally) that God IS faithful!

Diane