Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Doors & Locks

I stepped out the back door to make sure the dog was taking care of business. The door shut behind me and when I turned to go back inside, it was locked. Two little boys peered out the window as I rattled the door and instructed Patrick to unlock it. He smiled and acted like he would but instead I heard the bolt slide into the locked position. I started to feel a little panicky - okay maybe more than a little. I did NOT want to run to the neighbors and ask for the key for many reasons; mainly, I did not want to leave them in the house alone. I tried unsuccessfully to break in all the while telling Patrick to unlock it. His eyes twinkled as he giggled, kind of rattled the door, and smiled. (He does know how - he is obssessed with doors and locks ALL the time.) I must have told him 10 or more times to unlock the door before it finally swung open. He thought it was funny, I did not. He went down for a nap.

I should have known better - it was bound to happen one of these days. He is constantly locking and unlocking the doors all over the house. He has been instructed not to play with the doors and locks many times but the attraction is strong and obviously we need to keep working on that area. :)

So yes, today I was locked out of the house by a 2 1/2 year old. Thankfully it wasn't long and both boys stayed at the door. It could have been much worse. I can't help but laugh a little at the absurdity of the situation - though it was absolutely not funny at the time.

Lesson learned: Never walk out of the house without a way to get back in.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Oh gosh. Remember that one time, when we were 13, and we babysat those friends of yours and got ourselves locked out of the house? For hours. And hours. And your dad had to come rescue us, after we'd walked a million miles to the neighbor's house. And we both thought we were going to get in major trouble from the parents of the kiddos. Yah. I'm so sorry it happened again to you. :)

Heather L. said...

Yikes! I can see that happening here, from some locking that was going on over here today. Patrick must have really enjoyed your frustrated moment! :) Hope it doesn't happen again!

Kate Ambrose said...

Please don't think I'm evil, but I kind of laughed while reading this. I'm sure it was stressful, and thank God nothing awful happened... But the mental picture of naughty but somewhat innocent little Patrick "playing" with Mommy, just is hilarious to me.

Yes, I'm a terrible person, and a terrible friend.

Oh, by the way, in about 2.5 years and 7 months, you'll have a chance for payback by laughing at me with my own little one trials. :-D

Rebecca said...

At least you didn't have to saw off the door knob. :) Thank goodness Patrick was able to unlock it...sneaky little fellow.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. But I did something much more stupid. I came home from the grocery store with my 18 month old and 3 month old. Brought them inside. Left the baby sleeping and GAVE MY KEYS TO MY 18 MONTH OLD to keep him out of trouble while I brought the groceries in. I doubt I need to explain how stupid that was. He locked the door just like he'd seen us do numerous times. I had to run to the apt office and they kindly lent me a key.

Thankfully, the boys survived my stupidity but I've actually locked myself out of the house several times since. But not because I gave a toddler my keys.

Amy K said...

I've been locked out of our bedroom by the toddler. That's not quite as scary. But it did make me think about being locked out of the house and WHEN (not if) it's going to eventually happen.

jeremy said...

You might have a future locksmith on your hands.