Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Tribute and Weekend Report

I'm trying desperately to get back in the groove today and it's definitely not working. Attitudes are bad, obedience scarce and I'm exhausted. Andrew headed back to work and we probably won't see him until very late tonight. He missed 4 days of work and hadn't planned for any of them so he has a lot of catching up to do. We also have quite a busy week here at home that will end with hosting Easter dinner for 16. I need to plan the menu for that today.

We left for SW Iowa Thursday night and drove halfway. We finished the trip out on Friday and made it 1 1/2 hours before a family dinner and then the visitation. Saturday was the funeral and then most of the relatives headed out to the family farm for the evening. The boys LOVED that - they fed baby lambs, rode in a tractor, played with the cats, and saw the pigs and cows (I'll post picture on their blog when I get a chance). Sunday we all went to church and had dinner at the church. Monday was the committal and then we stopped to visit Grandpa before heading home. We stopped halfway again - more on that later. We arrived home around 5p.m. last night.

It was a whirlwind trip but we really enjoyed seeing everyone. Grandma would have loved having everyone there. We had been planning a trip out to see her and grandpa in the next few weeks so it made it especially hard that we didn't make it in time. She passed away in her sleep - very peaceful and unexpected. What a beautiful way to depart this world and enter into Heaven.

Grandpa and Grandma F. were almost the first to know when we became engaged - it was the first time I met them and I instantly loved them. Grandma was a gracious, kind, loving, and caring lady. And she was so funny! She welcomed me with open arms and I enjoyed every single time they visited IN or we went to IA. She loved us and our children and all of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. It was a blessing to hear the many wonderful memories and anecdotes of Grandma shared throughout the weekend. I will never forget her hospitality and incredible game playing skills. We will miss her so much.

The adjustment for Grandpa has been and will be difficult. He has lost his best friend, his wife and he loved her so much. She took such good care of him these past years. We visited with him for awhile before we headed home and it was so hard to leave. He held our hands and kissed us and with tears in his eyes, he thanked us for coming. He didn't want us to go and we didn't want to go. I know there will be lonely days ahead for him but we are so thankful for the family in the area that will make it easier.

So, we are back in body, not quite back in spirit. We are worn out emotionally and physically. And the trip was so sudden that I didn't leave things the way I like to at home so it's going to be a catch up game for the rest of the week. We are so thankful we were able to go and that all the details quickly fell into place.

5 comments:

Paula said...

My heart just breaks for Grandpa. How sad. His best friend. I pray he will find comfort in the Lord.
you have your work cut out for you, a dinner for 16 this weekend, oh boy. You can do it!

Heather L. said...

Andrew's Grandma sounded like a wonderful lady! I'll be thinking of you this week with everything you have to catch up on and get ready for.

Smith Family Blog said...

What a wonderful tribute! I was choking up. We will be praying for you and your family.

By the way, where was "half way"? I'm figuring you had to come near us!

Alaina said...

Hey Mailee, Halfway was Davenport, IA - how close is that to you guys?

Smith Family Blog said...

Straight north, about two hours I think. So not as close as I thought, but definitely closer than Indianapolis! If you have a planned trip through there sometime, let us know!
By the way, I haven't forgotten that you mentioned meeting half way sometime. We should look at our calendars and plan that!