Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kid Stuff

So potty training is going very well with one child and started even better with the other but he has since become very lazy and won't tell me; he also denies that he needs to go or that he has already gone in his pants. It's a little frustrating. I was going to try a recommended potty training method originally but since we were making such good progress, I thought we would give this a try. I may change my mind. :) Even with the frustration, they are not having very many accidents (even when we are out) but that's mostly because I keep reminding them to go - well, one of them has started telling me more.

They do use going potty as an excuse to get up from naps & bed, get out of time out, or leave church - I'm sure this is all common. We have not had any #2 accidents for which I am VERY grateful. Anyway, that's a potty training update. We have good days and bad days. I think I'll keep perserving with both though I'm tempted to give up on one child and try again in a month or so. We'll see. I think I need to have more rewards. :)

Lately, the boys have been loving dried fruits and nuts (especially raisins, cashews, & banana chips). It makes an easy and healthy snack! I usually buy them in bulk once or twice a year, so we always have them around. They also discovered that they love tomato soup - this is probably the 3rd or 4th time they have tried it but the first that they liked it and asked for seconds. Yay! Even though fries and cheese are requested at every meal, I'm thankful they are willing to try new things - it makes meal time so much easier. Oh and we do not eat fries and cheese at every meal. :)

I'm trying to do more crafts and coloring with them which they think is fun! They used markers and glue sticks today (not together) and thought they had arrived. They are doing lots of puzzles and I'm amazed at Calvin's ability to put them together - he will do them for 30 minutes at a time. Patrick has been demonstrating his counting skills though not always in the right order. :) 1,2,3 and 8,9, 10 are his favorite numbers. And both are quite interested in letters - we talk about them a lot!

Sometimes I find having 2 the same age a challenge. It's hard to keep them both interested in something or out of mischief or whatever. But it is also so much fun to watch them learn from each other and be challenged. I'm so glad they have each other and I can't imagine our lives without them!

5 comments:

Heather L. said...

fries and cheese is pretty funny! I can imagine trying to do projects with two at the same age is hard!

Paula said...

Thats funny, they use the same excuse that I do to get out of a boring sermon! Sounds like its going well. I've gotta hand it to you, two at once is a challenge. I have only done it once and that was 19 years ago.
I'm trying a new recipe in the slow cooker tomorrow. Sweet and sour chicken. I'll let you know how it is. Thanks for your feedback. I think I will put it in frozen. Yesterday I made a really good pot roast with tomato wine sauce in the crock pot. it was soooo good. I'm using the leftovers for burritos tonight. As you can see, you've inspired me to get more organized with my dinners! Thanks :)

Monica said...

You are doing a great job with those two boys of yours! I think you have an amazing amount of energy and patience. I'm really not sure that I could handle two boys the same age with all the physicalness (is that a word?) involved. Just think, when you get your next child you will think it is a breeze. Sometimes it helps not to know the difference until after the fact:)

Kim said...

Oh using the potty excuse is very common! Noah (3) still says that to get out of eating dinner. We are just starting the potty with Josh and he is having none of it. :)

Amy K said...

Meredith's all-time favorite thing right now is painting. LOVES it.

Glad the potty training is going well. We still haven't made a second attempt.