Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Teachable Moments

Hear my son, your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching; indeed they are a graceful wreath to your head and ornaments about your neck.
Proverbs 1:8-9
I read this passage yesterday and was reminded and challenged. What an awesome responsibility we have as parents and for me, specifically, as a mom. I spend all day with our children and have such an opportunity to continually instill in them the truth of God's Word. It is truth that will last and I pray that it will have a lasting impact on our boys.

I'm reminded that I need to view each time of discipline as an opportunity to further train my children in righteousness. And to seize each teachable moment and use it for God's glory. This is the joyous and sometimes difficult calling God has given me as a mother. I'm humbled by such a serious responsibility.

It has been such a delight this year to hear our boys begin to form their own prayers and to learn the Psalms & songs we sing together as a family. My desire is that we continually build on that foundation. I love to see them excited to worship the Lord and joyjully joining in the congregational singing and prayers at church. It is truly the most rewarding part of being a mom. It's easy to focus on the areas that need improvement and miss the ways that Calvin & Patrick are growing and maturing.

I'm thankful for my parents' faithful instruction and correction during my growing up years. As we raise our children, I pray that we will glorify and honor God and I pray that my children will walk with the Lord all the days of their life.
I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
3 John 1:4

3 comments:

Kate Ambrose said...

This is beautiful.

Amen!

Paula said...

What a beautiful testimony to God. He is smiling upon you. I too agree that instilling Gods word and deed are the most important thing we can teach our children. Theodore Roosevelt once said "A thorough knowledge and understanding of the Bible is more important than a college education"

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Alaina. There's nothing like seeing a child's faith germinate and shoot up. Isabelle especially loves family worship, clinging to my arm when we read the Bible. She seems to "get it" more so that little Tom, who can't sit still to save his life! Ha!